Featured Post

The Science of Getting Rich: CHAPTER VII [excerpt] by Wallace D. Wattles #Gratitude

--- Gratitude THE ILLUSTRATIONS GIVEN IN THE LAST CHAPTER will have conveyed to the reader the fact that the first step toward getting ...

Monday, January 18, 2010

Miracle Diet

---
Are we being 'intentionally' penalized for making healthier food choices?

I am a low carb sort of guy myself... I struggled with weight issues for many years. At times I was as much as 60 or 70 pounds heavier than I should be.

Mrs. Warrior had us on many different 'diets' over the course of those years. When/if we worked hard and suffered much we might succeed in losing a few pounds. But they were generally ineffective.

I stumbled across the low carb 'lifestyle' alternative and decided to give it a try. That was about 4 years ago.

After weighing as much as 230 pounds, I'm 5' 8" in height, my weight now fluctuates between 170 and 180 pounds.

I probably should be closer to 150 to 160 pounds but none of us are truly perfect are we? ;)

At the 170/180 pound weight level I have plenty of 'splurge' area ;) I can pretty much 'exit' the 'lifestyle any time I 'choose' to do so. During such periods I eat pretty much anything I want, that is within reason. Meaning, mainly, plenty of pizza and sandwiches ;) I can usually carry on like that for weeks or even a month or two (think Thanksgiving and Christmas ;)

I pay a price... Usually gaining 10 or 12 pounds during the period. And I feel myself becoming more sluggish physically. My stomach begins to protrude as well ;)

These are 'signals' to me that I need to switch back to the low carb 'lifestyle'.

I highlight the word lifestyle because that is what is required for 'success'. I lifestyle change is required. A real change in the way you think about food and yourself. So lets call that the 'bad' news ;)

The reason the 'lifestyle' has been, and continues to be, successful for me is because it is possible to build a spectacular menu 'routine' of food 'choices' that are very flavorful.

Full disclosure: This diet does not work well for vegetarians ;)

The main 'focus' of the diet is meat/seafood, cheese and eggs. Obviously there are an unlimited number of flavorful food choices, combination's and preparation ideas possible with this group of foods alone.

With the low carb diet you can also add a number of healthy low carb vegetables to the mix. Green beans and salad are pretty much 'staples' at our house. In addition to lettuce we eat a lot of onions, mushrooms, zucchini, broccoli and cauliflower.

We also eat some spinach, avocados, some squash is ok, and eggplant. Garlic is both fine and healthy!

Nuts and seeds are also good for snacks or added to a salad.

One of my own personal favorite deserts when we are on the diet/lifestyle is a bowl of whipping cream out of the can. Especially when sprinkled with a few peanuts and chocolate chips ;) Kinda like a melted ice cream sundae with very few, if any, carbs...

I find sugar free popsicles to be very satisfying in the summer heat. At a carb 'cost' of 4 grams each.

Your menu choices, with the foods available, are virtually limitless. Restricted, really, only by your own imagination. You really can plan many fantastic menus.

Another thing that I, personally, find great about low carb dieting/lifestyle is that you can eat as much as you want. You never have to be hungry at all. You can eat all day long if you so choose. And STILL lose weight! As long as you watch your carbohydrate intake carefully.

Of course, excessively large amounts of fat is not a great idea for anyone. This is easily addressed by serving more chicken, pork and seafood than beef. But beef is perfectly fine too. I try to limit my cheese to a 'reasonable' amount. For me that is usually 2 or 3 ounces per serving. We also use a lot of butter and olive oil when cooking at my house. That too is fine...

Exercising is not really a requirement of low carb dieting but of course it is ALWAYS an excellent idea ;)

When I am in weight loss mode, after a 'vacation' of binging, I try to limit myself to no more than 20 grams of carbohydrates per day for a period of time. This normally lasts a few weeks up to a month or two. It depends on how much weight you want/need to lose. And the pounds truly do just melt away practically on their own.

Counting carbohydrates is a very simple thing to do... If you stick to the main, healthy foods that were pointed out here earlier little counting is even required at all... However 20 grams of carbohydrates per day means many foods are completely off the table including breads and other starches, sweeteners/sweets and many foods that you might not suspect... Including fruits, many 'carby' vegetables, obviously potatoes but also corn and many others. Generally grain.

Once I reach my target weight I normally increase carbs some. Maybe adding a sandwich for lunch or a late night snack. Maybe a little pizza and some burgers in moderation (maybe once a week).

Eventually I usually get carried away and once again find myself eating way too much of the foods that are downright 'bad' for me... Of course this category includes such foods as biscuits, cakes, pies, deserts and ice cream.

They're ALL so FANTASTIC! lol

The foods that seem to me to be the worst of all are foods that contain large amounts of both carbohydrates AND fats! Watching these closely at all times is a very good idea ;)

But, after a period of time, my body and energy level, always lead me back to my beloved, delicious low carb 'lifestyle'. It just waits for me like a good friend ;)

It's easy to be healthier, lose weight and maintain the lost weight simply by making wise food choices. By modifying your food 'lifestyle' while still enjoying delicious meals ;)

I also wanted to point out that it is important for everyone in this country and around the world to try to eat locally produced meats, seafoods if possible, and fresh home grown or locally grown foods as much as possible. The fresher your foods the healthier they will be.

I will say that this particular 'diet' has been a real 'miracle' for me ;)

But now, a bit more of a social note on this issue... Carbohydrates are much cheaper than meat/seafood, cheese and eggs. Period.

It is obvious, to me, that a 'healthy' diet/lifestyle costs more money than an unhealthy one. This is obviously one reason the poorest in our nation/society struggle more, on a percentage basis, than the general population taken as a whole when it comes to weight and health issues.

Add to the fact of higher cost the 'fact' that processed foods, especially processed 'convenience' foods, seem to be PACKED with added carbohydrates and fat. Many people who may eschew cooking for themselves turn to these extremely (intentionally?) unhealthy prepared food 'choices' for both their low cost and convenience.

I posted about this at one time in the past... That 'what if...' our leaders, both government and corporate, really ARE much 'smarter' and more 'deliberative' than we give them credit for? What if 'they' realized, decades ago, that an 'unhealthy' American populous would inevitably lead to great riches throughout the health care and pharmaceutical industries?

Could 'they' really be so diabolical as to develop a plot/plan to attempt to 'intentionally' make Americans 'less' healthy merely to drive profits in the health care industry?

Scary thought huh?

You can fight back. Grow some of your own food if possible. It is a great way to spend more time with family while getting a little exercise and producing healthy food choices for yourself. And it's 'hip' and 'cool' too ;)

'CHOOSE' to be healthy! You can do it!

Greg

I feel I must say here that I am not a doctor, food nutritionist, or much of anything else related to this post. Always be careful. Checking with a professional, your doctor, before dramatically changing your eating habits is no doubt a great idea and highly recommended ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment