Featured Post

The Science of Getting Rich: CHAPTER VII [excerpt] by Wallace D. Wattles #Gratitude

--- Gratitude THE ILLUSTRATIONS GIVEN IN THE LAST CHAPTER will have conveyed to the reader the fact that the first step toward getting ...

Thursday, September 8, 2011

The kind of #job I don't want in #Corporate #America

---

Here's an ad out of yesterday's local newspaper..

COMPUTER SYSTEMS TECHNICIAN

(company name withheld), a generation and transmission electric cooperative in (state withheld) and (state withheld), is seeking a Computer Systems Technician.

Applicants should have 3-5 years of experience installing and maintaining hardware, software and office equipment troubleshooting and repair. Experienced in developing internet browser-based and console applications, along with designing, developing and maintaining databases. Associates degree in an IT related field required; bachelor's degree preferred.

(Company) offers an excellent compensation and benefits package. (Blah blah blah contact information and so on so forth).

---

*I* am actually well qualified for a job such as this, though I'm not looking other than to browse just to see what's out there. Plus the fact that I do not have an associates or bachelor's degree..

But take a look at the qualifications on this job.. I mean productivity is fine and all but many companies are completely stupid about it, IMHO.

---
- Job #1 Office machine trouble shooting and repair
I had 17 years experience as an office machine trouble shooting and repair person.
-
"3-5 years of experience installing and maintaining hardware, software and office equipment troubleshooting and repair"
-
- Job #2 is merely implied as a network guru
I always had someone to do this for me so I could concentrate on my own work..
-
"experience installing and maintaining (hardware) AND software"
-
- Job #3 Software engineer (internet and desktop) / database design and maintenance
I did this, professionally, for 10 years or so when I still worked for "the man". I loved my work but doing these two things alone took all my available time plus time that I did not have..
-
"Experienced in developing internet browser-based and console applications, along with designing, developing and maintaining databases."
---

So, being what I consider generous, I see at least THREE jobs here and one could postulate that there are actually 4 or 5 jobs here! (ie; internet programmer, desktop programmer & database design / maintenance)

Do you think "(Company) offers an excellent compensation and benefits package." reflects that? I figure maybe 60 grand per position x 3 = $180,000.00 per year. Think it pays that? I seriously doubt it..

And to add insult to injury you will not even be CONSIDERED for the position unless you have a sizable amount of student loan debt!

F this.. system.. This, in part, is why I am o-u-t. You can have it, have fun..

---
On a separate note, also out of my local paper, get this!
---
READY TO MOVE TO BRANSON?
-
A super nice home awaits you just 8 miles from the Branson Landing. Unique split floor plan includes 3 BR, 2 1/2 BA, living room plus spacious family roomwith a wood burning fireplace, great master suite, big deck, above ground pool, hot tub, private large fenced back yard, town close and country quiet-all in one package. Just 3 miles from marina on Bull Shoals lake!Everything is in tip top condition. Move-in ready TODAY.

ONLY $89,900.00

I checked it out.. It IS a double wide on a permanent foundation, didn't say that in the paper, damnit.. But STILL.. try this in Manhattan!
---

Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment