Featured Post

The Science of Getting Rich: CHAPTER VII [excerpt] by Wallace D. Wattles #Gratitude

--- Gratitude THE ILLUSTRATIONS GIVEN IN THE LAST CHAPTER will have conveyed to the reader the fact that the first step toward getting ...

Sunday, September 18, 2011

FXCM Buy Limit vs Buy Stop ?

---

Interesting question I think..

The other trading platform I use offers sell limit orders, sell stop orders, buy stop orders and buy limit orders..

We all (should) know that a buy limit order is placed below the market while a buy stop order is place above the market.

I have noticed before, and wondered about, FXCM on this matter.. FXCM just takes a sell order or a buy order. I have always assumed this is because if you put in a buy order below the market then it is a buy limit and if you put in a buy order that is above the market it is treated as a buy stop. This made sense..

On Friday I put in, what was at the time, a buy limit order on EURJPY, as the buy order was placed below the market. To be more specific the order was 105.93.

As I often do (lol) I forgot to cancel that order until after the close on Friday..

Today EURJPY gapped lower on the open.. Below, in fact, my 105.93 "buy limit" order.

Well hell.. now I have my answer but I'll continue this strictly for educational purposes..

Before today's open, after I saw my order still sitting there, I was wondering will FXCM still treat my order as a buy limit and fill me at 105.93 or "better" or will they automatically convert my buy limit order to a buy stop order?

I didn't see how they could ethically change a buy limit to a buy stop without authorization to do so so I figured I should get filled at the lower price.

Anyway how do you tell what the open was? 105.40 maybe it looks like?

At any rate, once the market opened I was filled at 105.507 at 5 minutes after the (official?) open. So my order did apparently remain a buy limit..

And that's what I wanted to know so now, if you didn't know before you should know now too ;)

Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment